Friday, October 25, 2013

Curried Greens

If You Give a Mama Some Greens

The CSA is filled with greens.  When she picks up the greens she gets chilly.  When she gets chilly she wants some curry.  When she wants some curry she'll need some garam masala.  After she's made some garam masala, she'll need some naan to go with it.  After she eats her curry and naan, she'll need to go back to the CSA to get more greens!


Before this year, I felt burdened by the greens in the early and late season at the CSA.  Sometimes I used them up right away...other times they wilted slowly, beseechingly, as I searched for some exciting recipe.  (And no.  I am not making kale chips.  But, I can see why you think I'd be that kind of person.)  Everyone has ideas for potatoes, tomatoes, garlic, peppers...but all those GREENS!  I wasn't sure I could stomach one more iteration of greens, sausage, parm, and pasta.  It's delicious, but not every week.

Finally, I decided to try to puree them.  This created a distinctly gross looking, but heavenly tasting concoction!  You will not regret trying this.

Curried Greens
Adapted from 660 Curries.

4 large cloves of garlic
1 fresh cayenne pepper (with or without seeds, how hot do you like it?)
1 slice of fresh ginger (2" long, 1" wide, 1/8" thick)
1 Tbl canola oil (or ghee)
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 lb greens rinsed and chopped(mustard, spinach, collard, beet, or any mix thereof...I used 1/2 collard and 1/2 spinach)
1 cup diced tomatoes
1 tsp coarse salt
1 teaspoon garam masala (yours or store's)
1/2 to 1 cup whole milk yogurt

STEP 1
Toss garlic, ginger, cayenne into a food processor and process until it is minced

STEP 2
Heat oil in large sauce pan over medium high heat.  Add cumin seeds and fry until they are reddish brown - 15 seconds.  Add the minced garlic mixture and fry until lightly brown - 1 min.

STEP 3
Begin adding the greens a few handfuls at a time.  Cover and wilt.  Repeat until all greens are used.

STEP 4 
Add garam masala, tomatoes, and salt.  Cook covered until the tomatoes begin to give up their juice.


 STEP 5
Remove from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes.  Then puree (in batches if necessary) until a uniform, thick, smooth, olive green sauce is created.


STEP 6
Return to pan and stir in yogurt to taste.  I used about a cup, but less or more is fine.

 Adjustments:
 If at this point it isn't spicy enough go ahead and sprinkle some cayenne powder in there.  If it isn't fragrant enough, toss in some extra garam masala.

To use this as a side, simply add rice or naan.

To turn this into a full meal, add a little bit of diced chicken.

Now I'm actually looking forward to my next batch of greens.  My husband, who was never much of a vegetable eater actually rolled his eyes with bliss and asked if we could please have this every week!  I hope you enjoy!

- Daisy

No comments:

Post a Comment