Friday, January 3, 2014

Garlic Potato Leek Soup (No Cream!)


I love all holiday type foods, but I am tired of making fussy dishes for the moment.  It is snowing.  I opened a bottle of wine, and I need to make something easy.  I love Smitten Kitchen's Baked Potato Soup and I just received the last delivery from my winter CSA, so I'm flush with garlic and potatoes.




This serves 4-6 depending on your hunger!

Ingredients

  • Four large cloves of garlic, peeled
  • 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 2 (large) -4 (small) leeks depending on their size
  • 5-6 cups chicken or vegetable broth 
  • 3 Bay leaves
  • 1 teaspoon table salt
  • 2 1/2 lbs potatoes (1/2 of a 5lb bag or approx 4 medium...I use yukon gold - the color is gorgeous!)
  • sour cream or whole milk yogurt 
  • freshly cracked pepper



Directions:

1) In a large heavy pot melt the butter on medium heat.  Add the chopped leeks and "melt" until soft and translucent (10 mins).

2) Roughly chop the garlic.  Add garlic, bay, and 1 teaspoon salt to pot.  Cook for another 2 minutes.


3) Add 5 cups of broth, deglaze the pan, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.

4) While the stock simmers, wash, peel, and cube potatoes.  Add the potatoes and simmer for another 15-25 minutes, until potatoes are tender.

5) Either using a traditional blender or an immersion (stick) blender, puree 2/3 of the soup.  This will allow the soup to have a decadent, creamy texture without adding cream.  I enjoy a few chunks so I don't cream the entire pot.

6) At this point, follow your desires.  If it is too thick, add more broth.  I add about a cup of yogurt and a teaspoon of freshly cracked pepper.  You can use sour cream.  You can add more salt, bacon, ham, chives, cheese etc.


Be warm!
-Daisy



No comments:

Post a Comment