Friday, November 22, 2013

Pumpkin Pie Doughnuts


 I adore pumpkin and while I don't embrace the pumpkin spice coffee situation that happens this time of year, I do put it in everything else...bread, pancakes, muffins, pie, risotto....

I came across this recipe for Pumpkin Pie Doughnuts on the King Arthur Flour blog Flourish.

My first attempt was an A-, so of course, in the name of science, I'll need to reproduce this study in deliciousness.



I recommend having a helper.  Somehow the mismatched scarf and hat helped.  It brought the right amount of style to the atmosphere.




Style, and mess.



Preheat oven to 350

In the bowl of a mixer, combine:

1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups pumpkin purée (canned pumpkin)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder 


Blend until smooth.

 

Then add:

1 3/4 cups + 2 Tablespoons of flour.  Gently stir together, don't overmix.




Grease doughnut pans if you have them.  Here I need to confess.  I attempt to be a minimalist.  I buy multipurpose items, then I borrow the specialty things I need.  But I see a lot of doughnuts in my future.  Especially since you can put any muffin mix into these things.  Yes my darling picky child, you will consume zucchini doughnuts in a few months!

Anyway, this recipe will work as muffins if you don't want to buy a pan.  It makes about 15.



Fill approximately 3/4 full.  (In this photo they are overfilled.) And as Jenny says, this will work even if your oven is clean.




 Bake for 15-20 minutes.  That's it!  Let them cool for about 10 minutes in the pan and gently loosen.  If you've got lovely doughnuts with holes in the center, you can drizzle with caramel or shake in cinnamon sugar (or below, pumpkin pie spice sugar).





To get a more authentic doughnut flavor, briefly dip in melted butter before adding the cinnamon and sugar.

To use these as foundations for tiny scoops of ice cream, fill pans a bit more than 3/4 full to have a dip, but no hole.

I think I will HAVE to try a few more doughnut recipes now that I have these pans.  And imagine bringing these as your Thanksgiving contribution.  Everyone will think you are magic.  Enjoy pumpkin season!

-Daisy

No comments:

Post a Comment