Monday, September 23, 2013

The Perfect Tomato Pie.

Tomato pie really is one of the best things on earth, and chances are, you are missing out. Part savory cheese cake, part pie, part galette, part BLT, all deliciousness. It is creamy, crunchy, ooey-gooey and juicy all in one bite. Just thinking about it makes my eyes roll involuntarily, and I already had two pieces tonight. And at the height of tomato season. When my kitchen is over flowing with tomatoes and I am running out of ways to eat them, I can't seem to get enough of tomato pie.

Did I mention my recipe starts with bacon? And butter? No? Well it does.

Tomato Mix

4 C cherry tomatoes, (2 C of which are halved) (can substitute thick sliced large tomatoes)

3-5 slices of Bacon, cooked & chopped

1/4 C shredded Fresh Parmesan, Romano or Asiago

*Basil for garnish.

 

Cheese Mix

Cream cheese, 1 stick

Greek yogurt -OR- Ricotta Cheese, 1 C

1/4 C corn starch AND 2 1/4 t baking powder (-OR- 1 egg)

3-5 cloves fresh garlic, minced

2 onions diced

1 C Mozzarella

1/8 C dried Oregano

 

Crust

1 stick COLD butter

1 1/4 C flour

Pinch salt

1-2 sprigs fresh Rosemary, chopped

1/4+ C ICE water

Splash Milk

 

Procedure

Preheat oven to 375.

Fry bacon, chop and toss with tomato mixture ingredients, set aside.

Just for reference, the cherry tomato at the right was grown in normal garden soil. The Cherry Tomato at the right came out of my compost fortified tomato cages.

Sauté onion and garlic in bacon fat. Mmmmmmm. Combine cheese mix ingredients. Set aside.

Stir flour, salt and rosemary together.

Cube cold butter and cut into flour using a pastry knife or by pulsing in food processor until it looks like little pebbles.

Splash in just a little milk, then slowly add ice water until dough forms and starts to separate from bowl. DO NOT OVER WORK.

Roll crust on floured surface and line pie plate*.

Spoon in cheese mixture.

Top with tomato mixture. It will be heaping. Press tomatoes into cheese mixture slightly.

Bake at 375 for 40 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes, then serve immediately. You could garnish with a chiffonade of fresh basil. I clearly could not wait that long.

Enjoy one of the best dishes ever. I suggest serving with a light white wine like Reisling (is there anything Reisling doesn't go with?) and a light chopped salad.

 

*A note on pie plates.

Pie plates are not created equally. There is a heirachy, and it may be affecting your results. Stoneware pie plates, like the ones I use, are the best. Glazed ceramic are a close second. Glass pie plates are ok, but do not crisp up the bottom crust as well as ceramic. Tin or aluminum pie plates should only be used under your plants to catch drips. Seriously. They make the sorriest, soggiest crusts. Why waste the time and effort to make a beautiful pie to have it ruined because the pan you are using doesn't conduct heat evenly? Really, throw that thing out and upgrade, the make a pie and see what you have been missing.

Happy Tomato eating!

-Jen

 

2 comments:

  1. Oh my god...despite the CAPS, I overworked my dough. Can you believe it? This recipe makes me want to cry with joy.

    -Daisy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Should I do a video tutorial on pie crust? Do I dare?
    -Jen

    ReplyDelete