Tuesday, September 3, 2013

This Post is Gross.

Ugh. Bath toys. Hands down on my top ten list of unexpected joys horrors of parenthood. Including having some one poop diarrhea in your hand. They are really, really gross, and they hang out in your bath. If bath toys are not a good reason to have a separate "adults only" bathroom, then I don't know what is.

I decided the tub needed a good scrubbing after vacation (the house needs a deep clean, but lets just start with the tub).

The bath letters were literally stuck to one another with mildew. The finger puppets wallowing in pools of soap scum in the bath toy storage thing. And don't even get me started on what I found behind the storage thing. I am shuttering just thinking about it. We were out of bleach, so everything got soaked in oxiclean for a few hours before I even bothered to start scrubbing.

The good: Solid plastic toys in simple shapes actually dry out between use. No mold here, but it was peace of mind to have them somewhat sanitized.

The bad: Squirt toys get moldy on the inside, the finger puppets have not been dry since their first use. The cloth on the car wash has gotten weird, and the ball is impossible to wipe out. These are all goners.

The ugly: Do not buy this kind of toy storage. I thought it would be easy for trips, but it has yet to leave the house. The middle set of pockets are waterproof and collect soap scum. Delicious. The back was a moldy, scummy mess. I can say that it did come clean fairly easily, and is now banished.

The mildew came off the letters fairly easily, but I still think they need to be replaced. I would just toss them forever, but the Personal Assistant loves to practice his letters in the bath. If I find anything less prone to sticking together and mildewing, I will be sure to let you know.

Now that everything is clean, my shower feels more homey and less frat-housey. Thank goodness.

-Jen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment