Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Rags to rugs pt. 2: Hookers.

I have become a reluctant hooker. It's true.

Although I have tried knitting and crochet in the past, I can't say I like them. They are repetitive and tedious hobbies. I made some afghans in college, and they took forever and I did not enjoy making them. Also, there is the whole yarn can be really expensive thing.

Dispite my misgivings, I bought an extra large hook, and tried the crochet method for making rag rugs. And I have to say, they came out kinda great.

And, I think I might like making them. Here's why:

  • Rags are cheap and thick, meaning you get finished results quickly.
  • The crochet rug was thicker. It is really squishy under your feet.
  • The shape was uniform.
  • I could take it with my easily and made it while watching The Personal Assistant play in various locations. So it was really convenient to get my crafty on.

The picture above is the "front". The picture below is the "back", and I think I actually like the back a bit better.

About the same amount of rag yarn made the 27" diameter rug below.

I decided to try making a square rug. I started with a granny square instead of a loop. Again, really easy. One twin sheet plus one large women's t-shirt made this 17" x 17" rug. I think I will finish it off with a thick white border.

Below is the beginnings of a basket, which I will write more about later. But for reference, the t-shirt yarn from one large men's t-shirt made this 8" diameter circle. It's a great size for a trivet to hot pot holder at the moment. A bit larger, and it would be a good size for a cushion for the kitchen chairs.

I am excited that I found an easy, cute, fast way to make some useful things from my scraps and excess fabric.

If you want to learn more, here is the video I watched to get started. She's super cute, it's like hanging out with your grandma, if your grandma is from Maine and makes rag rugs. If you need mor inspiration check out my rag rug board on Pinterest.

-Jen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment