Saturday, June 8, 2013

Sunday Pancakes


 Big ol' stack of love.


In my house pancakes wear many hats.  They are the special Sunday morning treat when my son and I wake up and my husband has his "sleep day."  (Don't worry, my husband is a good man, Saturday is my "sleep day".)  

They are also our weeknight "go-to" when we realize  a) there is no food that anyone wants to eat and b) mama has no motivation to cook.  We make them for company, or for one.  Don't eat cereal, toast, or pop tarts, just eat these.  Everyone will think you slaved over them - but you won't!


KITCHEN TOOLS:
Large measuring cup
Large mixing bowl
butter knife
spatula 
measuring cups
measuring spoons
whisk
Griddle or skillet


  

Preheat your skillet while you mix your ingredients.

WET INGREDIENTS:
 1 cup of milk
1/4 cup of plain yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1Tablespoon maple syrup
3 Tablespoons melted butter, cooled
1 large egg whisked

DRY INGREDIENTS:
1 Cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup wheat flour
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

One recipe makes about 12 pancakes.


STEP 1:
I don't have a microwave so I melt my butter on the preheating skillet.  I only melt it half way and whisk the hard butter into the melted to cool it faster.  I let this melt and cool while mixing the other ingredients.



Measure your milk in the large measuring cup and add the yogurt, vanilla, and MMMMMMmmmmaple syrup.



At this point, if your butter is cool, add it as well.  After you stir it in, it will look chunky, that's perfect.  Finally, add your egg.  Look at my bright yellow egg!  It is from a friend's hens.




STEP 2:
In a separate bowl, whisk your dry ingredients together until fully combined.



STEP 3:
Gently combine your wet and dry ingredients.  I cannot emphasize this enough, so I hope you will forgive the caps, but DO NOT OVERMIX!  At this stage do not whip or whisk or even stir vigorously.  Gently fold the ingredients together, be sure all of the flour is incorporated, but a little lumpiness is ideal.



STEP 4:
Lightly oil (canola) or butter the griddle.  Be sure the heat is on low or medium depending on your stove.




Scoop a heaping 1/4 cup of batter onto the griddle.  (I use the 1/4 measuring cup that I used to measure the yogurt as the perfect scooper.)  Your batter will look joyful and bubbly rather than runny. 


 Oy, look how fluffy!  I want to lick the pictures! 

When bubbles begin to form and pop on the tops of the pancakes, flip them over.


 SO TALL!! 


Slow and steady is the best way to cook these beauties, but so worth it.  

Happy Sunday,
Daisy



No comments:

Post a Comment